The Child Beale Trust
The Child Beale Trust is a not for profit charity No 300105 and is committed to safeguarding the privacy of your personal data.
Please read the following policy to understand how your personal data will be treated as you make full use of our services.
We will use your personal data in the way(s) set out in this policy. If you are not happy with the way that we are using your personal data, please do not provide us with your personal data (we have set out more information on how we collect your personal data below).
If you have any questions about this policy, or what we do with your personal data, please contact us at email@example.com or write to The Child Beale Trust, Lower Basildon, Reading, Berkshire RG8 9NW.
- What information we hold
Personal data is information about you that can help us identify you, such as your name, address, phone number or email address, bank/credit details or more discreet data such as the device ID of any smartphones, tablets or similar mobile devices you own.
- Why we hold it
When processing your personal data, we will only do so in relation to specific purposes and only after giving careful consideration to ensure that your privacy rights are not seriously impacted.
We will process the personal data that you provide to us in the following ways for the purpose of (and on the basis of) our performance of our contractual obligations to you:
- To provide you with the services that you have requested or purchased from us, such as fulfilling your purchase of a ticket or membership through our website (this may include correcting any errors that you have provided such as any typos in your postal address).
- To administer an event that you wish to attend.
- In order to verify your identity (i.e. to confirm that you are who you say you are), for example to verify your eligibility for a local resident’s pass.
- Where we do research on demographics, interests and behaviour based on the information you provide to us. We do this to better understand our customers. This research is compiled and analysed on an anonymised basis.
- In order to improve the service we provide to you when you come to visit us (by knowing a little bit about you we are able to deliver a better service to you).
- To create a profile about you to ensure our communications to you are relevant and timely, and to provide you with an improved experience when using our services.
- Why we need to hold it (statutory requirements)
We will only retain your personal data for as long as we need to keep it. In considering how long to retain your data we will always take into account factors such as any ongoing obligations we have to you, the nature of our relationship with you, legal requirements (e.g. in relation to HMRC statutory retention periods) and contractual requirements. We will not keep your data indefinitely and will always dispose of it carefully when it is no longer necessary for us to retain it, in line with defined schedules in our Data Retention Policy.
- How we collect it
The nature and the type of personal data we collect will depend on why you are giving it to us.
We collect personal data about you when you:
- Purchase items from our online shop (including purchasing tickets to come to visit us). We collect information such as your name, contact details, delivery address (if applicable) and your bank/credit details.
- Making purchases over the telephone such as group bookings. We collect information such as your name, contact details, delivery address (if applicable) and your bank/credit details.
- Interact with us on our social media pages (such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram). We collect information about you from Twitter and Facebook’s sites if the settings on your accounts or the privacy policies of those sites give us permission to do so. This would include your name, and any direct or private messages sent to us.
- Sign up for our newsletter. We collect information such as your name and email address and may audit your ‘click through’ on the newsletter emails that we send to you.
- Participate in competitions or events hosted by us or if you make a donation to us. We collect information such as your name, contact details, delivery address (if applicable) and your bank/credit details.
- Through our CCTV footage when you visit us in person; we operate CCTV to protect your safety.
- Voluntarily provide us with the personal data whilst completing surveys, signing up for events, or providing feedback. We collect information such as your name, email address, postal address and any additional comments or information you give to us.
- How we store it/how long we store it
Personal data submitted on forms through our website is transmitted securely. Data sent from the user’s machine to our webserver is encrypted using the latest SSL technology.
Paper application forms are locked away.
We will only retain such profiles for as long as it is appropriate to do so and will always delete this data responsibly in line with our Data Retention Policy.
We will process the personal data that you provide to us in the following ways in order to comply with our legal obligations:
- To retain and process records when you make a donation to us for Gift Aid transactions.
- To ensure that our sites are kept secure and to prevent crime.
- For the purposes of identifying and preventing fraud; and
- To comply with statutory or regulatory requirements, such as reporting requirements for Health and Safety Law.
- We will always do our best to keep your personal data secure. Steps we take in order to do this include the use of technical controls (such as encryption and network protection), limiting the number of people working for us who have access to your data and ensuring that they are trained in protecting your personal data.
- Where we use external suppliers to process your personal data, we put contracts in place to make sure that they treat it as carefully as we would and use it only in accordance with the instructions that we give to them.
- Who we share it with
Except where we use third party services to collect information, when you are asked for personal data by us, you are sharing that information with us alone, unless we specifically state otherwise.
As our requirements change, we may need to change the third parties that process your personal data to meet those requirements.
We do not sell or rent your personal data to anyone; we will never provide your personal data to another company or charity for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent.
- Why we share it
We may also provide your personal data to third parties who may process your data as part of the services they carry out on our behalf. In order to provide you with the services that you have requested from us, the following third parties may also need to process your personal data:
- i. third party product and service providers who we engage on your behalf to provide the products or the services that you have agreed to purchase (such as the purchase of tickets or delivery of goods purchased on our website. This may include, for example, courier companies (such as DPD), and Royal Mail.
- ii. any statutory, governmental or regulatory body that requests the personal data and that we are obliged (by law or by regulation) to provide.
- iii. our analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website.
- What we are required to collect (statutory requirements)
Any statutory, governmental or regulatory body that requests the personal data such as your name and address, and that we are obliged (by law or by regulation) to provide. An example would be HMRC in the case of Gift Aid.
- Subject access requests
The law gives you a number of rights in relation to your personal data and our use of it. You have the right:
- i. to ask us not to use your personal data for direct marketing purposes
- ii. to ask to see what personal data we hold about you and to find out about the way that we process the data (and in some circumstances, you can ask us to provide a copy to a third party)
- iii. to ask us to correct or update any personal data which is inaccurate
- iv. to ask for personal data to be deleted in some (but not all) circumstances where there is no good reason for us to continue to process it
- v. to ask us to temporarily stop using your data if you don’t believe that we have a right to use it, or to stop us from using your personal data where there is no good reason for us to continue to use it.
- vi. not to be subject to decisions made solely on the basis of ‘automated processing’ (i.e. the right not to be subject to decisions made solely by algorithms or computers without input from a human) in certain circumstances.
- Right to erasure
If you no longer wish us to hold your data, or any of your personal data changes, or you believe that any of the personal data that we hold is incorrect, please let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to The Child Beale Trust, Lower Basildon, Reading, Berkshire, RG8 9NW, and we will ensure that the Personal Data is up to date or erased. We may also contact you from time to time to verify that your personal data is up to date.
- Right to complain
If you are unhappy with the way we have dealt with your personal data, or if you have any further questions about how we process and retain personal data, please contact us in the first instance at email@example.com or by writing to The Child Beale Trust, Lower Basildon, Reading, Berkshire, RG8 9NW, so that we can try to put this right.
The animals will always be the stars of the show at Beale Wildlife Park – but there are many who take pleasure too from the beautiful gardens and grounds. Our new head gardener, Gillie Davis, is...
Join us for a four-day party to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, including Berkshire’s biggest ever teddy bears’ picnic. Berkshire’s biggest ever teddy bears’ picnicBring a soft toy...
Are you brave enough to come face to face with our reptiles? Get ready to say hello to our creepy crawlies (who aren’t at all creepy), including snakes, tortoises, lizards and insects*. In this...